Thursday 7 April 2016

I GRIEVE [ POETRY ]






I GRIEVE








I lifted my head

Once more

Only to see

The sun had set,

The trees had slept,

And they'd all gone home

I grieve.

The sky that was clear

is now covered with fog.

My path, I no longer see.

Why try... when it's all so gray?

I grieve.

Today I grieve

For what's been lost.

My forgotten people,

still on their knees 

before a snow god in spring

I grieve.

They've forgotten that prayer

And to whom they should call.

The Essence replaced

by mundane ritual,

empty symbols.

Their heart... so tired,

jaded and worn

I grieve.

We are a people

defeated... but not conquered.

And somehow

I feel my blood return.

I will stand.

I will try.

And from beyond my grief,

I will see....

There are a people you can't enslave.

A loyalty... you can't buy.

For a land may be occupied....

but never a soul.

From beyond my tears,

I'll understand....

Today my people weep.

But tomorrow... Death will die,

as their tears give birth to a land

where... "on them shall no be fear

nor shall they grieve." (Qur'an, 2:262)




N / F : FROM "RECLAIM YOUR HEART", BY YASMIN MOGAHED.






No comments:

Post a Comment