Wednesday 20 April 2016

FAUZIAH VANISHES IN TANA'IM






FAUZIAH VANISHES IN TANA'IM








HAVING completed taking the pilgrims for their tawaf (walking around the Kaaba) at approximately 12 midnight, I returned to my room to wait for Sheikh Abdul Fahad, an old friend of mine who was living in Riyadh, Saudi Arabia. We had promised to me. He frequently came to Mecca to perform his Umra and when time permitted, would meet with me whenever I was there with my group of pilgrims. Sometimes, our meeting would have been planned; other times, it would come by quite by coincidence. Whatever the case, our ties remained close.

     Sheikh Abdul Fahad was a successful entrepreneur. His friendly and generous nature made it easy for him to make friends with people from all walks of life. I didn't just know him; I knew his whole family.

     While waiting in anticipation for his arrival, I recalled our conversation earlier on in the day: "I want to tell you something Ridzwan. This is a really strange story... I just hope you believe me," my friend had said.

     His mysterious words piqued my interest even more. While I was deep in that thought, I heard a knock on the door. I swiftly opened it.

     "I'm sorry for being late, Ridzwan. I stopped by the Tana'im mosque just now," said Sheikh Abdul Fahad, hugging me and shaking my hands at the same time.

     "No, you're not late. I just got back from doing the waqaf," I replied, ushering him to come in.

     We exchanged news about our families, before shifting to other topics, including business. While waiting for the drinks that I had ordered from the hotel restaurant to arrive, I asked him about the strange story, which he had mention earlier. I really couldn't wait.

     "Oh... I did come here to tell you about it. The reason I am late is also because of that," he said, with a small laugh.

     "Haa... a new story?" I asked, chuckling.

     Suddenly, there was a knock on the door. The hotel's waiter placed our drinks and some food on the table. I invited him to eat. While reaching for a slice of cake, Sheikh Abdul Fahad began his story.

     According to him, on September 15, he, his wife and their three kids - Naseem, Fatimah and Hameed - as well as his maid, Fauziah, performed their Umra. Fauziah was in her 30s and originated from Mindanao, Philippines.

     "She's so hardworking, polite and religiously obedient. She has worked for us for three years, and I consider her as one of the family."

     "I could see how delighted she was. She would constantly ask about the Kaaba, the Zamzam well and many things. Throughout the whole journey, she never stopped asking questions," said Sheikh Abdul Fahad.

     When they arrived in Jeddah, the family boarded a 4x4 car driven by Ahmed. Sheikh Abdul Fahad's daughter's drive, who resided in Mecca. Sheikh Abdul Fahad and his wife sat in the middle seats while Fauziah sat together with Hameed, Fatimah and Naseem in the seat right at the back.

     Upon their arrival at the Tana'im mosque, Sheikh Ahmad Fahad reminded everyone to declare their intention (niat) for making Umra. Ahmed continued to drive, crossing the boarded of Miqat before entering the Holy Land. Once he reached the crossroad, there was one special lane for Muslims to enter Mecca, and another, for non-Muslims headed for Medina and other destinations.

     There, a sign read: Non-Muslims not allowed.

     As the road wasn't so busy with other vehicles, Ahmed maintained his speed. He was driving at more than 100 km/h at the time. It was peaceful, and everybody remained silent, looking at the scenery around them, of desert and houses, as well as looming hills. Suddenly, a scream could be heard from Fatimah, who wanted Ahmed to stop the car.

     "Where's Kak Fauziah?" she asked, looking left and right.

     Everybody was shocked, especially on hearing the sound of shrieking tyres as it gripped the road when Ahmed slammed on the brakes.

     Sheikh Abdul Fahad immediately opened the door. He came down, and wanted to check whether Fauziah had fallen off as there was no sign of her anywhere. Terrified, Ahmed immediately ran to the back of the vehicle, and tried to open the back door. It was locked. Fahad's wife and children also got down from the car. Everybody was confused. How could Fauziah suddenly disappeared while the car was still moving?

     Everybody guessed that she might have fallen off. But the thing is... the door was locked. That being the case, surely they would have heard a scream. There was not a single vehicle on the road at the time, which could have hampered their hearing.

     Looking at the chaotic situation, cars began to stop. Many people came by and volunteered to help to look for Fauziah along the 100 metres stretch of the highway. All possible reasons were offered. Some suggested that Fauziah might have fallen into a ravine; while others consoled and said that she might have been found by another driver and taken to a hospital.

     "How could she was disappeared? The car was moving, wasn't it?" I asked Abdul Fahad when he appeared to be taking ages to complete his tale.

     "That's the problem now. I myself don't know how it could have happened," he replied, simply.

     His answer made me even more curious... and confused. For me, it was impossible that Fauziah could just disappear like that.

     "Maybe she was left behind in the Tana'im mosque? Didn't you tell them to make their Umra intentions there?" I asked again.

     "But we never stopped there, just declared our intentions in the car," said Sheikh Abdul Fahad.

     I was still not satisfied with his explanation. Sensing my bewilderment, between belief and disbelief, Abdul Fahad continued with his story.

     "It's really strange the way my maid just disappeared like that. Before we entered the Holy Land, Fauziah was still with us, but as the wheel of the car rolled into the Holy Land, she suddenly disappeared," recounted Abdul Fahad.

     "Maybe she jumped?" I asked mischievously, testing him.

     "There was not a single sign! It's impossible that Ahmed was not aware that his car door was opened. What's more, that car would have triggered its automatic locks as soon as it moves."

     "And in fact, Fauziah was sitting in the centre, with Fatimah to her right, and Hameed on her left. It's impossible that they would not have realised it if she had jumped," explained Sheikh Abdul Fahad.

     Continuing, he said that his son Hameed had realised that Fauziah had disappeared but remained mum for a long time because of shock. According to my friend, Hameed could only stare at the seat that suddenly been vacated by Fauziah. He wanted to open his mouth to tell his father, but couldn't.

     At that time, Fatimah was nudging Fauziah to show her the beautiful rocky hills in the distance. When there was no response to her action, she turned, only to find that the maid was no longer at her seat.

     After three hours of searching, there was still no trace. Finally her disappearance was reported to the police who then ordered a search along the highway. They were conviced that Fauziah had fallen. Their efforts also in vain. No evidence was found. Fauziah's disappearance not only baffled Fahad and his family, but also the authorities.

     Fauziah's passport and work permit were taken by the police. Her name was clearly registered as Fauziah Miswari from the Mindanao province, Philippines and she was listed as a Muslim. Having exhausted all possible avenues, and coming to a dead end, with no evidence, not even blood found, the authorities contacted the Philippines embassy in Riyadh.

     With the aid of the embassy and maid agency, they managed to trace Fauziah's family address and phone number in the Philippines.

     "It's true, my daughter was working with an Arab family in Riyadh but her name is not Fauziah. He real name is Falcon Delmonte," a woman's voice could be heard on the other end of the line.

     "Sir, do you have the wrong person? My daughter is a Christian. It's not possible that she went to Mecca," the woman's voice could be heard saying.

     "So, her name is not Fauziah Miswari?" the agency officer asked again.

     "No! My daughter did say that she was working for a millionaire's family by the name of Sheikh Abdul Fahad," continued the woman.

     Based on the information, the police, with the help of the Saudi immigration, ran a check on Fauziah's passport. True enough, the passport was forged. The original owner's name, Falcon Delmonte, had been changed to Fauziah Miswari. The police said that the girl changed her status and name to make it possible for her to work as a maid in Saudi Arabia. The chances of working in the Saudi as a maid in a Muslim home was very slim if you were not a Muslim.

     "Ever since that incident, every year on the same date, my children would urge me to perform the Umra. And every time, we never fail to stop at Tana'im."

     "They were close to Fauziah. They constantly ask about her in the hope of seeing her again," said Sheikh Abdul Fahad, sadly.

     Although this story happened 20 years ago, my friend and family has never forgotten her.

     "That's the story Ridzwan. I've never told anyone about it. I really don't know why my heart kept urging me to tell you," said Abdul Fahad, with a sigh.

     From this conversation, I could sense that he truly regreted the incident. According to him, his kids never stopped hoping for Fauziah's return and would welcome her back with open arms even though she was of another religion.

     When Sheikh Abdul Fahad left, I was lost in thought thinking about the miracle that had taken place... really strange, but true. Could Fauziah's disappearance had anything to do with the prohibition on non-Muslims from entering Mecca?

     If that's true, where she had disappeared to? No one had the answer, including Fahad and his family. Only Allah knows everything.




N / F : FROM "THE BEST COLLECTION OF STORIES FROM MECCA", BY MASTIKA. 

No comments:

Post a Comment